How to be Parisian Wherever You Are | Book Review

By Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret, and Sophie Mas
Ironically, I've read this book after I've traveled to Paris. 

I'm going to start off with my rating: 10/10.
I realize that all of the books I have written about have been tens, but they wouldn't be worth writing about if they were anything less. Why waste my time with something that isn't perfect?

I've been very into non-fiction books lately. How-tos (there's got to be a better way to spell that), biographies/memoirs, self help/improvement, etc. It's weird because I've always been strictly a fiction reader. Maybe it's a sign that I'm becoming a grown up? (How terrifying.)

How to be Parisian Wherever You Are is an essential for anyone looking for their own joie de vivre or je ne sais quoi or wanting to channel their inner parisienne.
There are Parisian guides to everything: style, marriage, dating, cooking, parenting, beauty, etc. Some of them aren't the best, but they are definitely, inherently Parisian. & that is what the book promises. Each part of the book is divided under about 10-15 separate headings. 
How to be Parisian is so straight forward with its idgaf Parisian attitude. There are no apologies for the details that may be questionable or silly. That's just the way the parisiennes live: unapologetically.



My favorite part of this book is how much I felt understood while reading it. I may not be a parisienne, but I'm pretty sure I think like one. I want to keep myself for myself, but also give it to someone else. I want to look like I'm not trying hard, but I am (I'm trying so hard). It's all a contradiction and that's the beauty in it. It gives off a bit of mystery...

I'm taking this as a sign that I belong in Paris & I'm 110% okay with that.

- Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment