European Adventures | le Larzac

I'm studying in Montpellier, but every Sunday I am here we have an excursion to another part of Southern France. It's all about exploring what is around us. These are places that aren't very touristy, but very cool.
This Sunday we went to 3 places: the village of Couvertoirade, the Millau Viaduct, and the Roquefort caves. It was a busy day.

There are never clouds. Ever.
1. Couvertoirade 
It's a fortified town that was once owned by the Knights Templar. My inner Dan Brown and Robert Langdon fan girl was freaking out. 


 Couvertoirade is home to about 200 people, an amazing bakery, tiny shops, and even tinier doors.
The door height alone is a sign that I don't belong here.
#tallproblems
Am I in France or at Wimbledon?
What I'm wearing:
Sunglasses: Pimkie
Top: Zara
Shorts: American Eagle (same shorts, different pattern)
Shoes: Keds

2. Millau Viaduct 
I know, it seems silly for us to take time to stop at a bridge, but it's more than it appears. First of all, look at this view of Millau:

Is this real?!
 This is the tallest bridge in the world (the world!) and one of the greatest engineering feats of all time. The Eiffel Tower could fit under it. Color me impressed.

3. Roquefort caves
Home of the smelliest, most disgusting cheese I've encountered in France, or the cheese of kings, what it was called during our tour.
I'll be honest, this was a thumbs down, but I also think it's something you should do if you ever find yourself in the area. 
The tour is all about the legend of the discovery of roquefort cheese and how it's made now. It's pretty interesting. Did you know the fungus in the cheese is in the same family as penicillin? (You do now.) 
Approx. 24,000 wheels of cheese. 
There's a lot more in southern France than the Mediterranean. 

- Jess

P.S. Shoutout to Wikipedia for confirming the facts I was only half listening to during our tours. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment